A career with Bronson opens up new worlds. Cutting-edge technologies, clinical expertise and business innovations combined with individual human care and compassion are all a part of the experience.
BMH Bronson Methodist Hospital
Medical Social Worker
Hospital Medical Social Worker:
Responsible for the delivery of social work services to all medical areas of the hospital to a variety of patient populations. Provides direct intervention with patients and families in such areas as mental health, suicide, domestic violence, sexual assault, child/adult abuse/neglect, death/grief, crisis intervention, advocacy, and substance abuse. In conjunction with assessment provides intervention for families and patients for discharge planning, etc. Educates and counsels patients/families on available community resources and facilities. Collaborates with other members of the patient care team including external agencies to assess each situation to determine the best course of action. Coordinates and manages systems and activities toward the end that referred patients are discharged in a timely manner to psychiatric facilities, substance abuse treatment, etc. Employees providing direct patient care must demonstrate competencies specific to the population served.
Master's degree in Social Work and 1 year recent medical or mental health experience required
Additional education/experience may be required depending on specific department
Current Social Work license in the state of Michigan
• Ability to move about the hospital to meet with patients and/or families in the patient care units
• Basic Word Processing Skills
• Demonstrates excellent human relation skills including verbal and written communication, problem solving, advocacy, assertiveness and empathy skills
• Has a customer service orientation
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing, as a demonstration of the function of effective process and relationships with the patient and members of the interdisciplinary team
• Demonstrates effective interviewing, problem-solving and critical thinking in providing services to patients
• Regularly utilizes effective negotiation and conflict resolution skills as needed.
Work which produces high levels of mental/visual fatigue, e.g., interactive and repetitive or small detailed work requiring alertness and concentration for sustained periods of time, the operation of and full attention to a personal computer or CRT between 40 and 70 percent of the time.
Involves regularly lifting of bulky or moderately heavy weights (i.e., up to 50 pounds), and occasionally assisting with heavier tasks or expending the equivalent effort in pushing, pulling, or otherwise handling material, equipment, and other objects.
Depending on department of assignment
• Assesses the nature of the crisis and the immediate social/emotional needs and strengths of the patient and family in order to provide appropriate intervention.
• Performs appropriate screenings based on patient population and need.
• Identifies problems surrounding the crisis situation and may act as patient advocate to ameliorate such problems.
• Collaborates with other members of the patient care team to understand each situation from different perspectives and recommends or provides immediate treatment and solution focused interventions.
• Works effectively as part of the interdisciplinary healthcare team, collaborating and communicating regularly with the team and other members on cases and as issues arise.
• Identifies the need for, develops plan of care and makes referrals to community agencies and other healthcare specialist and plans to ensure the appropriate follow-up treatment and support is available and provided for after leaving the department.
• Thoroughly documents each case and enters appropriate information into the patient's medical record.
• Participates in the development of departmental policies, procedures and protocols.
• Identifies and provides for learning needs of patients, families, and healthcare co-workers.
• Assumes responsibility for professional development.
• Develops and supports a positive work climate and the overall team effort of the department.
• Mentors and supervises students.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Scheduled Weekly Hours
2450 Case Management/Medical Social Work (BMH)
Please take a moment to watch a brief video highlighting employment with Bronson!
Apply on company website