A career with Bronson opens up new worlds. Cutting-edge technologies, clinical expertise and business innovations combined with individual human care and compassion are all a part of the experience.
BMH Bronson Methodist Hospital
Laboratory technical assistant 1st shift BMH
Receives and prepares fluid and tissue specimens of the body to detect evidence of cancer, hormonal abnormalities, and other pathological conditions. Primary responsibility includes accurate patient specimen and requisition identification, labeling, handling, preservation, processing or preparation, and storage of specimens in the pathology department. Assists in performance of quality control, preventative maintenance, and troubleshooting on laboratory instruments. Performs other duties as required, including overall support within the pathology department.
- Associate's degree from accredited institution required.
- Experience in medical terminology sufficient to understand and discuss technical aspects of laboratory medicine required.
- Experience with patient specimen handling and knowledge of laboratory practices preferred.
- Employees must demonstrate competencies specific to populations served for clinical or non-clinical dependent upon laboratory location.
- Must be able to operate and perform basic computer programs associated with documentation and record keeping in the department
- Must demonstrate a degree of independent judgment and critical thinking, consulting with the department leader(s) when appropriate.
- Must be able to move from task to task, maintaining quality and efficiency
- Requires strong verbal skills to report and discuss findings, as needed with physicians and other hospital personnel and other external customers.
- Requires courtesy, tact, and good customer service orientation
- Ability to work independently, exercise creativity, be attentive to detail and maintain a positive attitude
- Adhere to Bronson's mission, values, fundamentals, strategies, vision and minimum working requirements (i.e. TB testing, flu shots, etc.).
- Ability to effectively prioritize tasks within the constraints of stated objectives, and to provide effective timely follow-up as needed.
- Be part of a team oriented environment that includes problem solving and creative thinking.
- Must follow laboratory safety policies and procedures due to potential for occupational exposure to infectious materials, including but not limited to: blood and other potentially infectious materials.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Performs quality control studies to ensure accuracy of clinical data
- Operates assigned instruments and equipment according to established schedule and procedure. (Some examples of instrumentation includes T2, ST5020, CV5030, Peloris, HE600, IPC and IPS)
- Verifies instrument functioning by checking and calibrating specific lab instruments and running known controls. Makes minor adjustments to instruments as necessary.
- Records on instrument logs any repairs, replacement, and maintenance needed of equipment.
- Use laboratory information systems such as CoPath, Epic and Atlas to retrieve orders, identify and accession specimens.
- Responsible for specimen processing.
- Performs only tests that they have trained in and determined proficient.
- Follows the laboratory's procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analysis, and maintaining records of patient test results.
Scheduled Weekly Hours
3304 Lab Histology (BMH)
Please take a moment to watch a brief video highlighting employment with Bronson!
Apply on company website