A career with Bronson opens up new worlds. Cutting-edge technologies, clinical expertise and business innovations combined with individual human care and compassion are all a part of the experience.
BMH Bronson Methodist Hospital
Certified Endo Tech Full time /Part time / PRN variable hours
Under the general supervision of a Registered Nurse (RN), the Endoscopy Technician will assist the Endoscopy/Surgical Services staff in providing an environment conducive to high quality patient care. To support this environment the Endoscopy Technician is responsible for learning the coordination, handling and disinfection of the endoscope; direct basic patient care (includes transporting, lifting, and moving patients); maintaining supplies necessary for operation of the department(s); and assisting the physician and nurses during the procedure. Employees providing direct patient care must demonstrate competencies specific to the population served.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required
Bronson Battle Creek specific: GI Technical Specialist (GTS) Certification required
Bronson Methodist Hospital Specific: GI Technical Specialist (GTS) Certification required or completion of SGNA Associates Program for GI Technical Specialist.
BLS for healthcare provider certification required
• Good understanding of basic aseptic and High Level Disinfection, avoiding infection/
contamination of equipment and supplies
• Basic understanding of caring for equipment and supplies
• General working knowledge of computers and department specific software
• Familiarity with location of various departments and general regulations/policies of the hospital
• Must be able to communicate effectively with all members of the health care team, patients, and family members.
• Must be able to use appropriate and professional phone, electronic and other communication etiquette.
• Must be able to work in a fast paced work environment, make quick decisions under pressure, and the ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects/situations.
• Ability to work extended hours if needed.
Work which produces levels of mental/visual fatigue which are typical of jobs that perform a wide variety of duties with frequent and significant uncontrollable deadlines. Work may include the operation of and full attention to a personal computer or CRT up to 40 percent of the time.
Involves regularly lifting of bulky or moderately heavy weights (i.e., up to 50 pounds), and occasionally assisting with heavier tasks or expending the equivalent effort in pushing, pulling, or otherwise handling material, equipment, and other objects.
• Recognizes the Physician and RN as the people in charge of the patient and informs them of any observations and concerns significant in the patients care.
• Assists the RN or Physician with patient care in the Endoscopy procedure. Passes, holds, and positions scope/instrument or equipment following direction of the RN or Physician. Gloves and Gowns as needed in order to hold the endoscope or adjust equipment.
• Connects equipment such as endoscope, water bottle, and suction as directed by the RN or Physician.
• Positions, drapes, and prepares patients for endoscopic procedures. Provides supportive comfort to patients by explaining, instructing, and easing patient fears and apprehension.
• Assist with room set up and turnover. Cleans room and properly disposes of trash and soiled linen, returns unused supplies, and prepares room for next procedure.
• Assists with delivering lab specimens.
• Assists RN with basic patient care activities such as activities of daily living (ambulating, toiletry needs, and dressing).
• Responds to patient call lights and takes appropriate action.
• Transports/Transfers patients as needed to and from departments in a safe way.
• Communicates and collaborates effectively with other multidisciplinary team members as well as patients, and families.
• Knowledgeable of operation, proper care, cleaning, and storage of all equipment, including Endoscopy instruments and attends in services on equipment and procedures.
• Checks equipment in the department/procedure rooms prior to the start of the day and throughout the day and assures that the instruments; supplies and equipment for patient care are available and ready for use.
• Trouble shoots problems with equipment and endoscopes.
• Assists with coordination of scope inventory/repair process.
• Demonstrates competency in cleaning and disinfecting scopes, accessories, and equipment.
• Demonstrates Competency in the use of the endoscope washer/disinfector.
• Following all appropriate techniques of High Level Disinfection and following manufacturer's recommendations cleans all endoscopes using appropriate technique, equipment, and solutions.
• Maintains logs appropriate to the endoscope washer/disinfector, scope inventory/repair, and refrigerators.
• Restocks supplies as necessary and ensures that an adequate inventory level of supplies, instruments, and equipment is always available.
• Provides clerical assistance to the department as directed.
• Complies with established policy/procedure.
• Actively participates in intradepartmental meetings.
• Demonstrates commitment to providing outstanding customer service to all customers in a manner reflective of our mission, values and customer service standards.
• Maintains a working knowledge of applicable Federal, State and local laws and regulations, the Compliance Accountability Program, Code of Ethics, as well as other policies and procedures in order to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical and professional behavior.
• Maintains a safe workplace by keeping work area free of hazards and correcting and/or properly reporting any safety hazards.
• Uses correct body positioning, proper body mechanics to avoid injury, utilize safe work practices (e.g. pushing vs. pulling, patient transfer/lifting devices, etc.) and uses personal protective equipment when necessary.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
Scheduled Weekly Hours
5900 Endoscopy Unit (BMH)
Please take a moment to watch a brief video highlighting employment with Bronson!
Apply on company website