Boys & Girls Clubs of America named "One of the Best Nonprofits to Work for in 2017, 2018 and 2019" Indeed.com
Boys & Girls Clubs of America is the nation's premier youth development organization. Our programs, training and services impact nearly 4 million children and teens every year. We are always looking for qualified professionals with a passion for improving young lives, as a member of our national staff. We have strong values, embrace diversity and offer great benefits to allow our employees to maintain work/life balance.
Location - Atlanta, GA Office Based
Under the supervision of the Senior Director, Federal Grants Programs & Performance, the Federal Grants Specialist, Workforce Readiness, is responsible for administering federal pass-through grants to member Boys & Girls Club Organizations (Clubs), ensuring timely and appropriate disbursements to the Clubs of allowable expenditures in accordance with applicable federal government regulations and guidelines, and the terms of the federal grant awards. This position is funded through federal grants, and may be discontinued upon expiration of some or all funding.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor's degree or experience equivalency required; degree in accounting preferred.
• Three years of experience in an accounting or grants management environment; experience with audit and compliance of grants functions preferred (reviewing documents against grant requirements, federal government regulations/guidelines, and Letters of Agreement).
• Ability to comprehend and apply complex federal government regulations and guidelines to varying circumstances and situations. Demonstrated high standards of ethics and integrity. Intermediate Microsoft Word and Access skills; highly proficient in Microsoft Excel and Outlook; demonstrated excellence in customer service support; sound judgment; highly organized in all ways (thinking, communicating, work responsibilities and desk space); high level of accuracy and attention to detail; ability to work well under pressure; excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills; and ability to articulate clearly with diplomacy, tact and conciseness via phone and in person to all customers.
• Ability to simultaneously administer multiple grants and projects in conjunction with day-to-day activities with limited supervision. Ability to interact and communicate with customers and to clearly and concisely exchange ideas, facts and technical information. Ability to apply reasoning, analytical, and problem-solving skills to provide excellent customer service while ensuring compliance with grant requirements. Physical requirements include: sight, hearing, sitting for four plus hours a day; skills essential for successful communications include speaking in front of a group, speaking extensively over the phone and writing. May be required to work extra hours on weekdays and or weekends to meet various deadlines.
ENVIRONMENTAL & WORKING CONDITIONS
• Normal Office Environment
• Travel estimated up to 5% (may be 1-2 days or more per month, including weekends – depending on scheduling requirements).
• Administer federal pass-through grants to Clubs, ensuring timely and appropriate disbursements to the Clubs of allowable expenditures in accordance with applicable federal government regulations and guidelines, and also the terms of the federal grant awards.
• Review and approve executed letters of agreement (LOAs) and related support documentation (including proposed budgets) returned by Clubs. Evaluate proposed budgets to ensure allowable costs and their relation to the purpose of funding. Communicate recommended budget changes to pertinent Clubs and ensure adjustments are properly documented in and compliantly retained. Follow up on missing executed LOAs, improper or missing documents in the executed LOAs returned by the Clubs, including certifications and budgets.
• Review and approve financial reports and the supporting documents submitted by Clubs that receive pass-through federal funds from BGCA. Analyze expenses to assess appropriate relation to funded projects, allowable costs and audit risk of grant sites. Request grant payments and oversee their distribution to the respective Clubs. Disallow costs that are not in accordance with the approved budget or not in compliance with the federal guidelines or the terms of the LOAs. Follow up on past due financial reports.
• Collaborate cross-departmentally with appropriate BGCA services to ensure compliant administration of federal grant funds with optimum impact.
• Initiate consultation with grant sites and assigned Directors, Organizational Development regarding the status of relevant grants and the resolution of complex issues.
• Monitor progress of grants and as necessary, advise the Senior Director, Federal Grants Programs & Performance, and others, as appropriate, of non-compliant organizations and develop a course of action to achieve desired results by BGCA.
• Determine the grants sites that are eligible for reallocations and those which will be obligated to meet additional grant requirements.
• In collaboration with the Senior Director, Federal Grants Programs & Performance, assist in resolving findings noted by internal and/or external auditors, including recovering disallowed costs and/or requesting additional information and documentation from Clubs.
• Serve as a technical resource for grant sites and BGCA staff to ensure the full use of pass-through funds for grant objectives in compliance with applicable federal agency pass-through standards and guidelines.
• Participate in the development, review and updating of BGCA's standards and guidelines for pass-through grant administration, ensuring they are allowable under federal agency and organizational requirements.
• In collaboration with the Senior Director, Federal Grants Programs & Performance, and the other appropriate BGCA services, develop and update training materials for webinars.
• In collaboration with the Senior Director, Federal Grants Programs & Performance, consult with appropriate BGCA staff to provide updates on relevant grants; determine the need for and provide on-site assistance and guidance to pass-through grant recipients.
• Coordinate and monitor communications to Clubs regarding status of grants.
• Perform other related duties and special projects as assigned by Senior Director, Federal Grants Programs & Performance or National Vice President, Federal Grants.
• Demonstrate BGCA mission driven I*CARE values, and integrate these beliefs into our environment and ways of work
• Adhere to organizational policies and procedures as described in BGCA's Employee Handbook, Ethics Policy and elsewhere.
• No direct Reports. May monitor and coordinate the work of temporary employees and student interns
Apply on company website