RN Educator for Operating Room Staff
Halftime - 24 hours a week - Days
Monday - Friday - 8am - 5pm
Boulder Community Health was recently honored as Best Local Employer by the Daily Camera in the 2018 Boulder County Gold, their People's Choice Awards for businesses in Boulder County. Come join us and be a part of an independent, community-focused health system and feel good knowing that your work will make a difference in people's lives and be a positive contribution to the community.
To build on varied educational and experiential basis for the enhancement of nursing and clinical practice. Responsible for educational needs and assessment for one of the following areas: Critical Care, Medical Surgical,
Surgery or Clinical Informatics. To coordinate with the educators in education department and the leadership in designated area to develop and disseminate standardized education content throughout the organization. This
includes, but is not limited to: needs assessment, the nursing process, planning of orientation, in-services, continuing education and clinical competency assessment.
The educator serves as a clinical role model and expert to the following target groups: nursing , support and technologist staff, patients, physicians, students, volunteers and the community.
Education or Formal Training
Special Qualifications (Licensure, Registration, etc.)
1. Colorado RN license in good standing
2. BLS within 12 months of hire
3. ACLS within 12 months of hire for Critical Care and Med Surg Educator.
Knowledge, Skill and Ability
1. Demonstrates clinical expertise in nursing practice for designated area (Surgery, Medical Surgical, Critical
Care or Clinical Informatics).
2. Demonstrates problem solving skills.
3. Demonstrates knowledge of teaching/learning theories
4. Demonstrates knowledge of evidenced-based, best practice.
5. Demonstrates effective verbal and written communication skills
6. Demonstrates assertive communication and behavior
7. Demonstrates effective listening skills to interact with staff learning needs and crisis situations.
8. Demonstrates organizational skill with orientation to detail.
9. Demonstrates strong computer skills with knowledge of Word, Excel and Sharepoint.
1. One year of experience in program development or clinical teaching preferred
2. Five years of nursing experience as an RN in designated area preferred (Surgery, Critical Care, Medical
Surgical or general Clinical).
3. Membership in a professional nursing organization preferred.
4. Specialty certification preferred (AORN or CNOR).
MATERIALS AND EQUIPMENT DIRECTLY USED
1. All clinical equipment that is used in the designated area (Surgery, Med Surg, Critical Care or Clinical Informatics.)
2. Computer: Desktop, workstation on wheels (WOWs), laptops, tablets
3. Copier machine
5. Intercom system
6. AV equipment: TV, VCR, slide projector, overhead projector, and microphone
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES
1. Lifts 30 pounds 6-10 times a day
2. Demonstrates patient care activity performed of a educator on yearly competency checks
3. Accomplishes goals while working under the pressure of consistent deadlines
Supervises students in clinical performance
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Engages in the evaluation of care delivery through a systematic quality assessment/improvement process.
2. Develops appropriate staff development programs.
3. Responds to the requests for education from the Department of Organizational Excellence.
4. Assists in developing indicators for aspects of care, collects data related to and evaluates care based on, the
cumulative data collected.
5. Takes actions to improve care and/or services.
6. Demonstrate ability to assess and plan for education needs and or patient needs appropriate to all ages and
7. May be required to perform point of care testing. May be a point of care trainer.
8. Employees are expected to comply with all regulatory requirements, including Joint Commission Standards.
9. Adheres to Standard Precautions as appropriate, which may include:
a. the use of protective barriers, as appropriate (e.g., gloves, masks, gowns, pocket masks, and/or safety
b. handling and disposing of infectious waste appropriately; and
c. hand washing as appropriate.
1. Evaluates own and others' practice in context with relevant professional practice standards, statutes and
2. Helps determine successful accomplishment of orientation/conditional period. Documents success and failures.
Works with management to determine action plan or termination when indicated.
3. Medical Surgical Educator, Critical Care Educator and Surgery Educator will assist perioperative, proceduralbased
and critical care practice behaviors on a regular basis both seeking and giving constructive feedback.
4. Identifies areas for personal and professional development.
5. Develops and initiates an action plan to achieve professional development goal; periodically monitors and
6. Participates in peer review when appropriate.
1. Acquires, maintains and builds on current knowledge in nursing practice.
2. Develops, plans, implements, and evaluates educational programs for clinical personnel and support staff.
3. Develops and/or maintains a comprehensive competency based orientation program for the nursing and technical
staff that is congruent with TJC, CMS, CNA, OSHA, and other regulatory agencies requirements.
4. Demonstrates clinical role modeling to the clinical staff and encourages their growth in clinical performance,
decision-making and conflict resolution.
5. Interacts consistently with small and large groups on a daily basis to meet the staff development needs and the
goals of the assigned patient care area.
6. Articulates clearly in teaching courses to professional audiences on topics consistent with knowledge and
experience and role.
7. Coordinates Colorado Nurses Association (CNA) and educational offerings following established guidelines to
provide continuing education credits.
8. Identifies learning needs based on performance behaviors that include critical thinking, interpersonal and technical
9. Seeks and provides experiences to meet established goals for professional development.
10. Utilizes, designs and coordinates the preceptor program for designated patient care department or Clinical
11. Designs and implements orientation to designated patient care departments and/or Clinical Informatics for Nursing,
support and technical personnel volunteers, students and physicians assistants.
1. Contributes to the professional growth of peers, colleagues and others.
2. Demonstrates clinical role modeling to the nursing staff and encourages their growth in clinical performance,
decision making, conflict-resolution, perioperative nursing competencies and correct implementation of standards.
3. Shares knowledge and skills through in-service programs, seminars, mentoring, publishing and
participation/service in professional organizations.
4. Provides peers and staff nurse with constructive feedback regarding their practice participation, and one-on-one
1. Determines decisions and actions on behalf of the patient and staff in an ethical manner.
2. Seeks available resources to help formulate ethical decisions.
3. Maintains patient confidentiality and is a patient advocate.
4. Delivers educational offerings in a non-judgmental and non-discriminatory manner that is sensitive to cultural,
racial and ethnic diversity.
5. Protects patients' and staffs' autonomy, dignity and rights.
1. Demonstrates accountability, flexibility and communication skills in collaborating for patient care and educational
needs of the staff.
2. Communicates pertinent information and new literature issues relative to assigned patient care area and
educational needs of staff.
3. Consults with health care providers and others.
Participates in various aspects of the research process to demonstrate the relationship between nursing interventions
and patient outcomes. May do one or more of the following:
a. Participates and is knowledgeable in the research process.
b. Identifies clinical problems.
c. Participates in data collection.
d. Shares research activities with others.
e. Reads and critiques research for application to practice.
f. Uses knowledge gained through research activities to initiate change.
1. Considers factors related to safety, effectiveness, environmental concerns and cost in planning and delivering
patient care or educational needs of staff.
2. Maintains a cost-effective educational process, which supports productivity standards.
3. Organizes and prioritizes workload to most effectively accomplish goals.
4. Evaluates factors related to safety, effectiveness, environmental concerns and cost when two or more practice
options would result in the same expected outcome.
5. Assigns tasks or delegates care based on patient needs and the knowledge and skill of the provider.
1. Consults and participates in standards development and revision.
2. Participates in the Education Council.
3. Demonstrates a service excellence attitude in job performance.
4. Is familiar with organization, department and job specific Environment of Care areas, including Life Safety, Utilities
Management, Hazardous Materials Communications, Emergency Preparedness, Infection Control and Medical
5. Other duties as assigned.
Uncompromising medical excellence, delivered with the values of respect and compassion. Since 1922, Boulder Community Health has built our reputation on this promise. As a community-owned and operated not-for-profit hospital and clinics, we remain dedicated to meeting the evolving healthcare needs of our citizens and providing access to high quality medical care. Our state-of-the art facilities are home to many medical professionals who offer an extensive range of medical services.
Nestled in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, adventure awaits you right outside your door. Big, beautiful vistas, serene snow-capped mountains, and a lifestyle conducive to enjoying the outdoors bring a truly fresh perspective to our practice of healthcare.
Surround yourself by natural beauty and an active, life-embracing community, while you enjoy state of the art facilities and equipment along with a competitive compensation and benefits package, including health/dental/life, paid annual leave, tuition reimbursement and much more.
EOE/Affirmative Action/Drug-free workplace
Apply on company website