The Special Education Teacher will be responsible for planning and implementing developmentally appropriate classroom activities in an innovative educational setting based on established performance standards and best practices.
- Serve as a collaborative leader of the classroom team providing instruction in a variety of settings, uses effective instructional techniques customized to individual students goals and objectives; provides appropriate instruction to other classroom staff.
- Effectively organizes classroom environment, instructional materials, and schedule to match and maximize learning, including maintaining clean and organized work and common areas.
- Utilize appropriate assessment tools and ongoing data collection to (a) to develop and implement goals and objectives for each child, (b) to measure and communicate present level of performance, and (c) to make referrals as necessary.
- Adhere to the school philosophy regarding behavior management and implements all relevant techniques appropriately.
- Understand his/her role in language and communication facilitation and appropriately utilizes techniques for each child.
- Conducts or participates in all activities and meetings relevant to the position or required by supervisor (e.g., Initial and Annual Reviews; Parent/Teacher Conferences, Open School Night, Home Visits, Parent Center meetings; Team, Department and Classroom Meetings, etc.).
- Complies with regulatory requirements and school policy and procedures in all areas, and completes and submits within designated timeframes all necessary documentation for regulatory and funding agencies.
- Maintains appropriate and effective interpersonal relationships with team and department members, parents, other staff, supervisors, administrators, and outside agencies. Demonstrates:
- Open communication, flexibility and the ability to learn and utilize team building strategies
- The ability to self-evaluate, to utilize supervision and problem solve
- The ability to both offer and accept assistance to/from others
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Communication, Oral - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
Conceptual Thinking - Ability to think in terms of abstract ideas.
Interpersonal - Ability to get along well with a variety of personalities and individuals.
Relationship Building - Ability to effectively build relationships with customers and co-workers.
Reliability - The trait of being dependable and trustworthy.
Responsible - Ability to be held accountable or answerable for ones conduct. including
Team Building - Ability to convince a group of people to work toward a goal.
Tolerance - Ability to work successfully with a variety of people without making judgments.
BA or Masters Degree.
Experience working with special needs school age students, preferred, 10-21 years old.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Certificates & Licenses
New York State Certification in Special Education for Students with Disabilities, Grades 1-6 or 7-12, Initial or Professional.
Willing to consider an individual with a BA who is currently enrolled in a Special Education Masters Program leading to Teacher Certification.
Other Requirements: Trained or willing to be in CPR/First Aid, SCIP, CPI, Choking Prevention
Physical Abilities Lift /Carry
Stand N (Not Applicable) 10 lbs or less N (Not Applicable)
Walk N (Not Applicable) 11-20 lbs N (Not Applicable)
Sit N (Not Applicable) 21-50 lbs N (Not Applicable)
Handling / Fingering N (Not Applicable) 51-100 lbs N (Not Applicable)
Reach Outward N (Not Applicable) Over 100 lbs N (Not Applicable)
Reach Above Shoulder N (Not Applicable)
Climb N (Not Applicable)
Crawl N (Not Applicable)
Squat or Kneel N (Not Applicable)
Bend N (Not Applicable)
Push / Pull
12 lbs or less N (Not Applicable)
13-25 lbs N (Not Applicable)
26-40 lbs N (Not Applicable)
41-100 lbs N (Not Applicable)
N (Not Applicable) Activity is not applicable to this occupation.
O (Occasionally) Occupation requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0 - 2.5+ hrs/day)
F (Frequently) Occupation requires this activity from 33% - 66% of the time (2.5 - 5.5+ hrs/day)
C (Constantly) Occupation requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5+ hrs/day)
Apply on company website