Job ID R3718 Full / Part Time:Full time
Full / Part Time:Full time
Possesses and utilizes significant technical knowledge and skill regarding principles and techniques of laboratory medicine as well as instrumentation. Incumbent may focus on teaching students in a formal program, assisting in oversight of the program, or may assist in the oversight of a section of the laboratory. Performs a wide variety of assays/procedures within a clinical laboratory service with documented expertise. Works independently and assesses test results for validity prior to reporting. Performs method evaluations, advanced projects, writes/updates procedures, may take paid call, assist in CAP inspection preparation, may order supplies/maintain inventory, specialized training, performs specialized/highly complex testing. Position requires excellent verbal communication, significant computer skills and ability to interface with a broad spectrum of health care professionals in a collaborative manner.
• Verifies appropriateness of specimens, accurately labels and identifies specimens. Alerts appropriate health care provider(s) regarding critical results
• Carries out analytical procedures utilizing manual or automated methods, following written protocols. Incumbent assists in preparation and maintenance of departmental procedures. Verifies validity of results prior to reporting by observing established quality control criteria prior to reporting. Produces results that meet established departmental standards for accuracy and precision with minimal repetition or problems. Incumbent demonstrates significant documented skill and experience and assists in the oversight of at least one section of the laboratory service.
• Performs assays and reports results within established Turnaround Times. Prioritizes work and maintains acceptable level of productivity. Communicates regarding issues that may affect quality of results and/or Turnaround Time.
• Incumbent demonstrates high level technical, interpretive and evaluation skills. Serves as a resource to identify or solve problems. Communicates with work team and/or supervisor regarding problems. Has expertise in trouble shooting of instrumentation, referring issues to supervisor as necessary.
• Demonstrates excellent communication, teamwork and customer service skills. Records of work performed, quality control and documentation of issues are thorough and complete, consistent with all departmental requirements and those of regulatory agencies. Courteous and helpful in all interactions with patients, visitors, co-workers and health care providers.
• Participation in special projects or studies with minimal supervision. Orients and trains new employees and teaches students incorporating theory and clinical significance. If focus is on education, assists in oversight of departmental training program, coordination, development of curriculum, evaluation of students, etc.
• Assists in maintenance and updating procedures through independent research to ensure current and appropriate methods.
• As assigned support CAP inspection preparation by participating in checklist review, interpretation of standards, implementing corrective action, and profiency testing program.
• Maintains awareness of and follows all corporate and BHS Pathology compliance policies and procedures
• Observes and promotes the BHS organizational standards of behavior
• Bachelor's Degree required
• A.S. MLT with MT certification must have met NCA experience requirements.
• Intermediate to advanced laboratory skills acquired through experience or clinical training.
• Must achieve 10 CEUs per year formal training or experience sufficient to obtain certification.
• MT (ASCP, NCA, AMT) certification required
• Full time position
• 2nd Shift
• 40 hours/week
Education:Associates of Science: Clinical Laboratory Science (Required), Bachelor of Science
Certifications:Medical Technologist - American Society for Clinical Pathology
Competencies:Collaboration, Courage, Ownership, Service focus, Values Differences
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Apply on company website