Job ID R1014 Full / Part Time:Part time
Advanced intermediate level position. Incumbent is expected to perform a variety of diversified duties of a technical nature to produce technically acceptable microscopic sections of human tissues in order to ensure optimal patient diagnosis and treatment. Must possess interpersonal and organizational skills necessary to work productively in a team environment under very limited supervision. Incumbent must adhere to system and departmental compliance policies and any and all applicable laws and regulations. Incumbent must commit to Baystate Health System's service standards.
1) Verifies appropriateness of and accurately labels and identifies specimens. Correctly resolves and documents all identification issues, forwards issues outside areas of expertese to appropriate staff.
2) Demonstrates significant documented skill in embedding and microtomy of all specimens. Produces results that meet established departmental standards for accuracy, precision, and speed with minimal problems.
3) Prioritizes work and maintains acceptable level of productivity. Recognizes issues that may affect quality of results and patient care and proactively troubleshoots problems, referring to supervisor only when necessary. Possesses the ability to troubleshoot various instrument issues.
4) Must demonstrate significant documented skill and knowledge in all routine histology procedures including routine special stains and frozen section procedures with very minimal supervision. Demonstrates high level technical, interpretive and evaluation skills and serves as a resource to identify and resolve problems within laboratory.
5) Learns and becomes proficient in neuropathology procedures which include: frozen section procedures of kidney, muscle, and skin biopsies; special stains of muscle biopsies; and immunoflourescense studies on kidney and skin biopsies. Recognizes, troubleshoots and corrects any and all quality issues and discrepancies. documents resolutions and informs the supervisor/manager.
6) Demonstrates excellent communication and teamwork skills. Courteous and helpful in all interactions with all co-workers, healthcare providers, and visitors.
7) May orient and train new employees and teach new students incorporating theory as much as possible. Participation in special projects or studies with minimal supervision. Participates in laboratory inspections .
8) Proactively assists within several aspects of the laboratory including but not limited to equipment maintenance and editing/writing of operational procedures
9) Maintains awareness of and follows all BHS pathology complance policies and procedures. .
10) Observes and promotes BHS organizational standards of behavior.Required Work Experience:
1) At least one year as histotechnologist level IIPreferred Work Experience:
1) None ListedSkills and Competencies:
1) Problem solving, reasoning, organization skills, communication, ability to take direction and follow through on tasks, teamwork, attention to detail, ability to multi-task, computer skills
2) Production of quality slides from properly embedded human tissues both fixed and frozen
Histology - Various
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Apply on company website