The Research Assistant I position on the Human Genome Sequencing Center's (HGSC) Library-Automation/CLIA COVID 19 workgroup will apply expertise in the area of genomic sequencing to clinical samples for the ongoing COVID testing/research and clinical sequencing projects. These projects are highly visible and impact the national reputation of the HGSC and of Baylor College of Medicine. Recent COVID testing samples have significantly increased and nearly doubled. Also, we are continuing to see clinical sample throughput and the All of Us sequencing project is expected to be seeing sample throughput within the next two months, thus we are seeking to fill this position quickly. Even an experienced applicant will need training on our local processes before he/she is fully up to speed, which adds to the urgency of bringing a candidate on board rapidly.Job Duties
- Works independently and within a team to process samples in the production pipeline, as well as work on projects including protocol development and optimization.
- Works under the direction of the team leader and the group manager.
- Documents experiment procedures.
- Collects, compiles, evaluates and analyzes data.
- Interprets detailed assay procedures and test results.
- Performs laboratory research projects and production tasks.
- Updates LIMS, sample tracking and summarize data in an appropriate format.
- Prepares reagent, solutions, and oligos used for production.
- Performs routine laboratory equipment maintenance and log records as required.
- Tracks the inventory for reagents and report when furthering order is needed.
- Bachelor's degree in a Basic Science or a related field.
- Two years of relevant experience.
- Master's degree in a related field.
- ASCP or equivalent certification is preferred.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
Apply on company website