At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world's leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment with a strong emphasis on process safety, as well as the safety of our employees and the communities we operate in and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America's Best Employers in 2019. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Senior Geospatial Data Scientist (2000033) – State College, PA
Where the Chemistry Happens
We are currently seeking a professional like you to join our Digital Farming team. In this role, you will have a strong technical background in data science and earth or remote sensing sciences with a proven capability to develop robust, scalable solutions that produce and improve geospatial and time series data for agricultural research and operational applications. You will interface closely with BASF's digital farming teams – including weather, remote sensing, agricultural modeling, data science, and product development teams – to provide and improve geospatial products and data for each teams' respective needs.
This is an excellent opportunity for you to demonstrate your fluency with scientific computing language such as Python or R (strong preference for Python), expertise in GIS tools and libraries (QGIS, GDAL, rasterio, xarray), and experience with machine learning libraries such as scikit-learn. You will also get to share your expertise working with scientific and geospatial data formats (GeoTiff. Cloud Optimized GeoTiff, Zarr, NetCDF, GRIB, HDF), experience with Linux and cloud-based environments (Amazon Web Services), and your ability to write well-structured, efficient, easily maintainable, and well-documented research code that can be easily transferred to a geospatial data processing chain.
Formula for Success
- Leveraging your education advanced education in the earth sciences, remote sensing or computer science and subject matter expertise in processing, producing, and improving geospatial data for agricultural applications, you will develop innovative geospatial datasets and machine learning models from various types of geospatial and non-geospatial data (e.g. weather data, remote sensing data, in-situ observational data, etc.)
- Demonstrating your extensive experience developing geospatial solutions for complex crop production challenges, you will write scalable, robust, well-documented research and operational code.
- Your proven and excellent ability to visualize and interpret geospatial results will allow you to effectively communicate through the development phases of your projects.
- Your familiarity with statistical analysis to improve, compare, and validate data / models will serve you well as you interact with the digital farming community.
- Your experience with data science, including data wrangling, statistical models, and machine learning, and its proper application to different geospatial datasets will be a valued asset as you develop solutions that help improve and automate crop production.
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you'll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
BASF provides interesting and challenging learning and development opportunities to help you make the most of your talents and your job.
Apply on company website