Information About this Position
- Benefits Eligible
- Relocation Assistance Available
- 7:00 am - 3:30 pm
- Microbiology Department
Company and Job Overview
Barnes-Jewish Hospital is the St. Louis region's top adult hospital. Formed from the merger of the former Barnes and Jewish Hospitals to become Missouri's largest hospital, it continues the traditions of its predecessors along with its partner, Washington University School of Medicine, in providing cutting-edge treatments, educating future medical professionals and working to make our community as healthy as it can be.
For over two decades Barnes-Jewish Hospital has been ranked on the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals Honor Roll. In 2021, Barnes-Jewish ranked 17th overall with 11 specialties being ranked. The hospital was also the first hospital in Missouri to be designated as a Magnet® hospital in 2003 by the American Nurses Credentialing Center for excellence in nursing and has been redesignated consistently since.
Barnes-Jewish Hospital is a teaching hospital staffed by more than 1,500 Washington University Physicians, the clinical practice for the Washington University School of medicine. The academic medicine partnership has developed many treatments and procedures that are now common across the globe.
Responsible for managing daily operations (QA/QC, equipment maintenance, workflow, service levels, operational oversight, workspace), staff (first level supervision, scheduling, coaching, staff development, CE, etc.) and performing analysis within the regulatory requirements.
- Manages individual(s) including but not limited to: hires, trains, assigns work, manages & evaluates performance, conducts professional development plans. Ensures that the productivity and actions of that group meet/support the overall operational goals of the department as established by department leadership.
- Develops and adheres to departmental staffing, revenue and/or expense budgets. Responds to changes in the business which may affect the ability to achieve the budget goals.
- Supervises laboratory activities and ensures par levels of supplies are maintained and procedures are performed promptly, accurately, and precisely according to department and hospital policies and procedures.
- Keeps abreast of new developments, techniques and procedures on equipment, tests, and methods as well as other information relating to the laboratory and writes and / or updates procedures for assigned areas as necessary.
- Schedules staff and assign work to ensure that laboratory procedures are performed promptly proficiently, and accurately. (When necessary the supervisor is expected to perform tasks routinely assigned to direct reports.)
- Establishes systems and processes to streamline tasks and eliminate waste. Takes responsibility for the daily operations, both technically and administratively to ensure quality services.
- Responsible for monitoring test analyses and specimen examinations to ensure that acceptable levels of analytic performance are maintained. Assure all remedial actions are taken whenever test systems deviate from established performance specifications. Ensure patient test results are not reported until all corrective actions have been taken and the test system is properly functioning.
- BJC has determined this is a safety-sensitive position. The ability to work in a constant state of alertness and in a safe manner is an essential function of this job.
- Performs Other Responsibilities as Assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Physical/Life Science/related field
- 2-5 years of experience
- <2 years of supervisor experience
- MT/MLS - ASCP or equivalent
- 2-5 years of supervisor experience
Note: not all benefits apply to all openings
- Comprehensive medical, dental, life insurance, and disability plan options
- Pension Plan*/403(b) Plan
- 401(k) plan
- Tuition Assistance
- Health Care and Dependent Care Reimbursement Accounts
- On-Site Fitness Center (depending on location)
- Paid Time Off Program for vacation, holiday and sick time
*Pension does not apply to Memorial Hospital, Memorial Hospital East, Alton Memorial or Parkland Health Center
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this position. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Apply on company website