Pet Care Assistant
Summary of Job Purpose and Function
The Pet Care Assistant works with the veterinary medical team to provide and prepare for the
best medical care of pets, and to ensure this is provided in a happy, welcoming, friendly and
efficient manner, influencing clients to return and refer their friends and families.
Description - External
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
• Prepare the treatment room for examination of pets and all necessary medical item and
supplies (e.g. vaccinations, fecal loops, slides, etc.) for the veterinarian and/or veterinary
technician. Set up fecals, smears, and skin scrapings as allowed by state rules and
• Maintain the flow of the Cycle of Service in accordance to position. Provide Client
Education regarding preventive care, Optimum Wellness Plans, and basic status of
hospitalized pets. Serve as support to the Client Services Coordinator staff on an asneeded basis.
• Hold or restrain pets during examination, treatment, or inoculation.
• Prepare routine in-house laboratory tests (e.g. canine heartworm, feline leukemia, FIV,
and canine parvovirus) as allowed by state rules and regulations.
• Monitor the comfort of hospitalized patients. Ensure the comfort of hospitalized patients
by "walking", exercising, feeding, and cleaning cages and pet (when approved by the
veterinarian or veterinary technician).
• Bathe and dip pets when necessary to treat dermatological conditions (when advised by
veterinarian or veterinary technician.
• Clean the surgical suite and instruments.
• Ensure cleanliness of the hospital including but not limited to housekeeping such as
laundry, dishes, mopping, cage cleaning, trash collection and removal and instrument
cleaning as outlined by hospital protocols
• Other job duties as assigned.
Capabilities and Experience (can do)
• Ability to multi-task- Manages multiple tasks at one time; quickly and accurately shifts
attention among multiple tasks under distracting conditions without loss of accuracy or
appearance of frustration.
• Communication skills - Reads, writes and speaks fluent English, using appropriate
grammar, style and vocabulary. Correctly spells commonly used English words and job
specific terms. Demonstrates exceptionally strong written and verbal communication
• Organizational ability - Demonstrates a systematic approach in carrying out
assignments. Is very orderly and excels at cutting through confusion and turning chaos
• Problem solving skills - Demonstrates a strong ability to identify, analyze and solve
problems. Translates problems into practical solutions.
• Client service skills - Consistently ensures the team provides the client with attentive,
courteous and informative service. Gains and shows personal satisfaction from
delivering great service.
Apply on company website