Company: BAE Systems
Location: Aiken, SC
Career Level: Associate
Industries: Manufacturing, Engineering, Aerospace
Email me to apply later
- Initiates and manages tool room projects from beginning to end.
- Produces 3D CAD models and 2D technical drawing packages from specified instructions using standard design procedures for the development of new components, assemblies, systems, or subsystems.
- Conceptualizes and designs a variety of tooling and fixtures for use in a production environment, including weld templates, drill jigs, forming dies, machining fixtures, holding fixtures, lifting devices and checking fixtures.
- Reviews tool drawings for accuracy and producibility.
- Works closely with Floor Support Engineers and Product Design Engineers to identify and mitigate production risks.
- Provides support to tool room machinists and welders throughout fixture fabrication processes.
- Performs Finite Element Analysis (FEA) testing on lifting device and work stand designs and assists with fixture proof-load testing.
- Administrates the Tool Management System (TMS), while processing new tool requests, maintaining fixture inventory, and setting priorities to support manufacturing.
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 4 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
Candidate must be detail-oriented and proficient in modeling and drafting using Creo Parametric, SolidWorks, Unigraphics NX, or Autodesk Inventor. He/she must have a strong knowledge base in various sectors of engineering and manufacturing--particularly welding and machining. A general understanding and application of Geometric Dimensions and Tolerances (GD&T) is required.
Strong communication skills, both written and oral, are essential to this role. The candidate must be efficient using Microsoft programs, such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
A viable candidate must feel comfortable working in a team environment, as well as working on projects individually. Tool design at BAE Systems is part of a high-paced culture and it plays a vital role in being able to deliver on our commitment to our customer. Attention to detail, effective time management and meeting budgetary expectations are critical to the success of the organization.
Preferred Skills and Education
Experience in fixture design is highly preferred. Fabrication shop experience is also preferred (machining and/or welding). Knowledge of hydraulic, pneumatic and electrical systems is a plus.
Associate's degree or Bachelor's degree in an engineering-related discipline. Formal Machinist, Tool Maker, or Welder certification is valuable.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Apply on company website