BAE Systems, one of the world's largest defense contractors and a stable Fortune 500 company, has multiple openings for a Technical Manual Project Manager to join the Technical Publications team. The Technical Manual Project Manager will manage technical manual projects for U.S. Army programs and will report directly to the Technical Manual Project Lead Section Manager.
This position is contingent on contract award.
- Manages assigned projects to develop MIL-STD-40051-compliant (or other Military Standard) Electronic Technical Manuals (ETMs) and Interactive Electronic Technical Manuals (IETMs). Primary responsibilities are to plan, lead the execution of, monitor and control, and closeout projects.
- Work with counterpart Integrated Logistics Support Manager (ILSM) to ensure needs of the program are understood and performance on assigned projects is properly reported.
- Provide Work direction that is clear and concise and includes cost and schedule targets; scope data including source material relevant to task; access to technical points of contact to ensure clarity of context.
- Maintain detailed, resourced project schedule. Cost/schedule variance communicated immediately to ILSM including cause for variance (e.g. scope creep, poorly estimated) and proposed risk mitigation moving forward.
- Communication with counterparts in Quality, Illustration, and Repair Parts and Special Tools List (RPSTL) Leads to ensure common understanding of program/project requirements and coordination of resources.
- Developing estimates for new work.
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 4 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Ability to motivate and manage personnel.
- Strong communication skills and ability to provide clear guidance to team members.
- Experience balancing workloads and staffing plans.
- Leadership skills with the ability to manage conflict and participate in team activities.
- Experienced with all Microsoft Suite of tools.
- Excellent time management/organizational skills, ability to work under strict and often aggressive deadlines.
- Ability to effectively interface with Program Management and Functional Management to provide program support as required.
- Ability to plan, execute, monitor and close out projects.
Preferred Skills and Education
- Experience with XML content management system.
- Knowledgeable with Army Military standards: MIL-STD 40051, MIL-STD 2361.
- Experience with QC/QA processes.
- Familiar with technical writing and publishing.
- Experience managing technical manual development projects small to medium in size (up to 20 people). Experience should include coordination of requirements for illustrations development, quality checking (editorial and technical), and with provisioners for the development/inclusion of parts information.
- Experience with file formats and tools typically associated with technical publications development (e.g. XML, Arbortext, oXygen) including content management systems.
- Experience with developing (or coordinating) approaches to the incorporation of technical (engineering) and non-technical (style/standard) changes to technical documentation.
- Experience with project communication including with the team supporting the project, with program and functional managers, and with the customer as required by the program.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Apply on company website