BAE Systems is seeking a Senior Mechanical Designer to join our established and rapidly expanding Electronic Combat Solutions business area.
Electronic Combat Solutions (ECS) has technology, engineering and program teams that educate and mentor colleagues to deliver leading Electronic Warfare capabilities. We welcome all those who have big ideas, crave innovation, want to drive fielding velocity and have the passion to bring the warfighter home safe.
You will provide your design expertise on the many technology challenged and innovated product and services to support our customers. As part of the Design & Drafting Community you will utilize the latest CAD Technology and Processes that are derived from forward planning with Industry professionals to define future of CAD capabilities as well as its support of Model Based Engineering via Model Based Definition. In addition, your technical skills will advance while performing your assigned responsibilities on development projects and in supporting our existing product portfolio.
The individual selected for this position will be an experienced Mechanical Designer who is a problem solver with diverse technical capabilities and sound design and geometrical tolerance fundamentals to support engineering, design, analysis, product definition and product build process. The duties assigned to this position, while under the guidance of Program and Engineering Leadership, include the following:
- Utilize computer-aided design equipment and/or graphic tools to design components, systems, portion of systems and modify existing designs to develop or improve production
- Support mechanical and electro-mechanical hardware design efforts from conceptual layouts through detailed design
- Conduct design trade studies, volume packaging and tolerance analysis
- Plan, execute, develop, release and control of product definition data (engineering models and drawings)
- Partner with business team members and engineering teams to develop mutually agreeable design specifications and ensure they are met on final product
- Work closely with technicians in the generation and assembly of prototype/engineering hardware and test equipment
- Create, maintain and update engineering records and files as appropriate
- Perform ECR's and ECO's as required
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 4 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
**Please note that pursuant to a government contract, this specific position requires US citizenship status**
15 years' experience or an Associate's Degree in a Design Drafting field with a minimum of 12 years of directly related Designer/Design drafting experience
Familiarity with comprehensive design processes including conceptual development, physical design and support to procurement and manufacturing.
Experience in the design and documentation of chassis and backplane designs
Work within a broader program team, highly capable of communicating across functional boundaries in order to solve problems and achieve common goals.
Ability to lead and direct small diverse teams
Familiar with standard manufacturing practices for the efficient fabrication of mechanical components and assemblies with attention to castings, machining or brazements
Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment
Strong understanding of GD&T in accordance with Y14.5 and associated ASME drawing standards
Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Proficient in 3D Solid modeling and in the utilization of related file management systems.
Preferred Skills and Education
- Proficient using CREO Parametric 4.0 and Pro-Intralink/Winchill 11.0
- Expert with Y14.5 GD&T, Military Standards and ASME drawing Standards
- Experience with change management Product databases
- Ability to provide performance feedback upon request
- Active DoD Security Clearance
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems
BAE Systems Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve.
Apply on company website