BAE Systems, a leader in the defense industry, has an immediate need for a Principal System Architecture Engineer. The Principal System Architecture Engineer will support any of our various Combat Mission Systems (CMS) programs. Any CMS Engineering Site including Sterling Heights, MI; San Jose, CA; Minneapolis, MN; Phoenix, AZ; and York, PA is an acceptable work location and we may consider location near any BAE Systems facility for a well-qualified candidate.
As the System Architecture Engineer, you will lead or support development of an optimum system architecture based on balanced requirements and extensive product and customer knowledge for multiple vehicle concepts. Also, the system architect will lead or support the product structure and the system architectural models from early vehicle concept through detailed design, integration, and test phases.
- Responsible to define the architecture of the complete vehicle for multiple vehicle concepts for moderately complex efforts or support architecture definition for highly complex efforts.
- Responsible for the creation of the vehicle electronics (vetronics) and physical architectures and complete vehicle packaging of the systems and modules to create the optimum vehicle for the customer application and business. This also includes leading the functional analysis and logical architecture development needed for successful hardware and software integration.
- Identify and control mechanical, electrical, data, and thermal interfaces for vehicle subsystems and other major architectural elements.
- Support the introduction of new technology to create optimally balanced technical solutions for each vehicle application by ensuring project content meets the customer needs and the technology strategies.
- Support requirements decomposition analysis to help drive concept architectures and system characteristics. Support compliance assessments.
- Manage resolution of architecture issues. Enforce design commonality (as practical) across concepts.
- Generate System/Subsystem Design Descriptions (SSDDs) and drive deliverables to meet Project required timing, deliverable requirements, and budgets.
- Support development of standard practices on Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) approaches and SysML methods.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Have systems engineering experience/ knowledge necessary to perform requirements analysis, derivation and allocation, and translate requirements to viable concepts design solutions within applicable constraints.
- Experience with Systems Modeling Language (SysML) methodology and tools, preferably MagicDraw.
- Experience developing architecture concepts and evaluating alternatives.
- Experience and knowledge of computer systems and processors, logic devices, interfaces, and high-level understanding of operating systems.
- Experience managing system risk.
- Ability to generate System/Subsystem Design Descriptions (SSDDs) and capability assessments per the program statement of work (SOW).
- Ability to develop and manage the concept product structures and the associated size, weight, power, cooling and cost (SWaP-CC) data, ensuring consistency across concepts.
- Ability to balance system design considering system usage concept of operations (CONOPS), performance, constraints, and logistics concerns.
- Ability to plan, conduct and document complex trade studies.
- Ability to balance size, weight, power and cost of system.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Must have bachelor degree (or equivalent experience) in relevant engineering field from an accredited university with the following:
- 6+ Years with BS
- 4+ Years with MS
- 2+ Years with PHD
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Experience with military vehicle systems, subsystems, or components, especially vehicle electronics and computing systems.
- Model based systems engineering experience, such as UML, SysML, Rational Harmony, Object-Oriented Systems Engineering Method (OOSEM) experience.
- Experience with MagicDraw modeling tool or equivalent.
- Experience with Controller Area Network (CAN) Bus strategies and implementation, and other relevant networks and protocols.
- Logical architecture experience, including development of use cases
- Familiarity with Department of Defense Architecture (DoDAF)
- Have and maintain INCOSE Certified Systems Engineering Professional (CSEP) certification.
- Experience with DOORS requirements management tool.
- Exposure to hardware/software integration.
- Leadership and mentoring of younger engineers.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Apply on company website