BAE Systems is looking for a Principal Software Engineer with systems engineering experience and a passion for engineering and the desire to be part of an innovative, dedicated team responsible for industry-leading GPS products. Our team needs engineers interested in architecting, designing, developing and verifying software for real-time embedded GPS receivers for military airborne, ground and weapons applications. This position offers abundant opportunity to acquire in-depth knowledge of GPS technology and receiver architecture, and to apply that knowledge in a team effort to develop our Modernized GPS receiver products.
As a part of this team, you will have responsibilities spanning all phases of the software engineering lifecycle, including requirements analysis, design, code development, integration, verification, and documentation. Assignments my include tasks such as developing software tools, supporting field demonstration efforts, providing customer support, and mentorship of other engineers. The successful applicant should be knowledgeable and skilled with a variety of development and test tools as well as proficient in the development of embedded hardware/software applications.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Bachelor's degree in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math (STEM) discipline, and 6 plus years of direct related experience
- Must be a US Citizen
- Have the ability to obtain a DoD Security Clearance
- High motivation to solve problems and continuously improve existing products
- A genuine desire to learn and innovate
- Desire to contribute to a results-oriented product development team
- Solid understanding of software development processes for real-time embedded applications
- Strong verbal and written technical communication skills
- Ability to work well with a diverse team
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Experience working with software and systems engineering processes
- Experience with leadership as a part of program execution
- Software requirements and architectural skills with functional decomposition, subsystem interface definition, technology application, and analysis
- Experience with real-time embedded hardware systems
- Experience with Eclipse, Jira, Jama and DOORS
- Experience with Ada, C, C++, Java or other high-order languages in real-time embedded applications
- Experience with Python scripting
- A working knowledge of Communication Systems, Digital Signal Processing, or Kalman Filter Theory.
- Experience with modernized software development processes (e.g. Agile, DevOps, DevSecOps)
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems
BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it's what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you'll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Electronic Systems (ES) is the global innovator behind BAE Systems' game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve. At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Apply on company website