You don't see it, but it's there. Our employees work on the world's most advanced electronics. Our technologies can save emissions in the City of Lights, autonomously route UAVs through optimal task lists, power the Mars Rover, first in class mission management technologies, all protect the F-35 fighter jet, and keep our country and citizens safe. At Electronic Systems, you'll be among the brightest minds, working on the aerospace and defense industry's most cutting edge innovative algorithmic problems. At BAE, we draw strength from our differences to innovate for the future. The FastLabs division of BAE systems focuses on the most cutting edge research programs funded by science and technology R&D organizations. On this team, you'll have the opportunity to create and develop advanced technology capabilities in the areas like advanced electronics, autonomy, cyber, electronic warfare, and sensors and processing.
If you are a technologist who loves design, write, integrate, and test cutting edge software based around challenging algorithms like the traveling salesman, this is the career opportunity for you. The FAST Labs business area is the innovative research and development engine within the Electronic Systems Sector of BAE.
As an Associate Software Engineer in the FAST Labs Engineering Directorate, supporting the Planning and Control Technologies (PCT) Directorate, you will:
1) participate in the complete software development lifecycle including design, development, debug, test, configuration, and deployment of our complex, real-time software solutions into simulation and live flight exercises, applying state-of-the-art software development tools and techniques; and
2) grow to interact with current and potential customers to understand their requirements and guide development efforts to meet their needs under the guidance of a software lead
Qualified candidates will also possess knowledge of software architectures, software algorithms, software industry best practices, and emerging software technologies.
As a member of the Software Engineering Directorate, you will have opportunities to continue developing strong and increasingly complex software skills and stay current in the software discipline. The organization focuses on career development of our software engineers and advancement of the craft of software engineering. You will be working alongside other highly motivated engineers passionate about software and protecting our military service personnel. Our flexible work environment provides you a chance to change the world without giving up your personal life. We put our customers first – exemplified by our missions: “We Protect Those Who Protect Us®” and “We Innovate For Those Who Move The WorldTM.” Sound like a team you want to be a part of? Come build your career with BAE Systems.
This position might require occasional travel up to 10% of the time to support integration and test events.
Please note that pursuant to a government contract, this specific position requires US citizenship or Permanent Resident status.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
Required Skills and Education
- Ability to obtain a Top Secret cleareance
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or Engineering related discipline with 2+ years of experience, or Master's Degree and 0 years of experience
- Object-Oriented language experience (C++ or Java)
- Software development experience in a Linux environment
- Ability to learn different technology areas quickly
- Ability to code complicated algorithms with oversite and guidance from leads
- Ability to debug existing complicated algorithms with guidance from leads
- Excellent team player who is willing to contribute in any capacity
- Motivated individual with strong problem-solving abilities
- Effective communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Extremely detail oriented and organized individual
- Ability to balance working with multiple teams, local and remote (all U.S. based)
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
Preferred Skills and Education
- Current Java software development experience on Windows or Linux
- Current C++ software development experience on Windows or Linux
- Full Life-Cycle Software Development experience or desire to get such experience
- Linux System Administration
- Strong Math and technology skills
- Ability to translate matlab code into code
- Proficiency with software build tools such as Jenkins, Subversion, CMake and Ant
- Experience with any of Distributed Systems, Multi-threaded systems, or Military systems or simulations
- Architecture experience
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems
BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it's what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you'll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Electronic Systems (ES) is the global innovator behind BAE Systems' game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve. At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Apply on company website