BAE Systems, one of the world's leading defense contractors and a stable Fortune 500 Company, has an opening for an Engineering Core Manager at the Radford Army Ammunition Plant in Radford, VA. The Engineering Manager directly oversees the Engineering Core staff supporting modernization engineering at Radford Army Ammunition Plant and Holston Army Ammunition Plant (Kingsport, TN).
BAE Systems helps protect those who protect us. At our R&D and manufacturing facility at the Radford Army Ammunition Plant, we do this by developing energetics for our government and commercial customers. Radford AAP has provided high-quality energetics for our warfighters since WWII and with your help will continue to push the frontier of energetic material synthesis and manufacturing. Learn more about this area of our business at www.baesystems.com/OSIjobs .
The Engineering Core Manager, reporting to the Deputy Director, Engineering, leads and mentors the Engineering Core staff across two sites (Kingsport, TN and Radford, VA). The Engineering Core group is responsible for driving process synergy across both sites and across the department. This position will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention in developing recommendations for changes to policy, processes, procedures, and tools to support more effective execution across projects. The manager will be a functional and strategic leader, and must fully understand engineering processes, design documentation, toolsets, and metrics. In this role, you will manage a staff with varying levels of expertise and experience providing a balance between empowerment and direction. You will champion continuous improvement and culture change.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage engineers and drafting personnel in a matrix organization
- Perform a variety of management and supervisory functions; hire, train, assign, supervise, and evaluate personnel
- Maintain and develop skillsets through on-going performance conversations and annual Performance and Development Review (reward and discipline)
- Create and mature process synergy across the engineering organization
- Mature and standardize Configuration Management/Data Management systems
- Pro-actively develop and mature value-added processes including standards, templates, and engineering tools (Change Management, Configuration Management and Data Management, Engineering Software) to increase consistency, replicability, and efficiency for departmental improvement initiatives
- Establish and mature metrics that effectively measure, monitor, and improve performance
- Provide leadership and strategic planning regarding risk associated with change management
- Manage engineering personnel focused on the gestation process for Modernization projects and Modernization strategy
- Provide technical oversight to ensure timely and economical execution of proposals, projects, and department initiatives
- Work in a collaborative environment with functional engineering managers
- Incorporate strategic planning and budget control; identify staffing, equipment, facilities, and related needs
- Provide leadership in safety and environmental performance
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 6 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- AS with 8 years or BS with 6 years experience in a related technical discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 5 years engineering design documentation experience including leading engineering process/procedure development, implementation, and improvement
- Proficient database skills using Excel, Access, etc.
- Knowledge of best practices regarding continuous improvement and change management
- Ability to multi-task while maintaining excellent time-management skills
- Ability to plan, organize, complete, and present assessments of concepts, analyses, studies, and procedures
- Excellent technical writing and presentation skills
- Ability to effectively communicate with various functional departments, suppliers, and customers
- Knowledge of management and supervisory principles
- Experience creating program plans, estimates, and proposals
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
Preferred Skills and Education
- BS Degree in Engineering or closely related technical degree
- Configuration/Data Management Certificate (CMII, NDIA CDM, etc.)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Apply on company website