BAE Systems is looking for an Electrical Hardware Design Engineer to support their Optical Electronic Warfare Systems Threat Warning Product line. The individual selected for this position will be an experienced engineer with diverse technical capabilities and demonstrated “hands-on” electrical engineering expertise. The individual must be a self-starter with development experience working with complex integrated military avionics/electronic hardware and related test equipment. The engineer will work closely with hardware integrated into complex processing systems.
The selected candidate will be expected to execute in a small team environment through all phases of the product life cycle from conceptual development and detail design through qualification, manufacturing transition and production support. The engineer will be responsible for developing robust hardware solutions and leverage their electrical engineering expertise to perform circuit and CCA design and analysis, FPGA/CPLD designs, technical trade studies, analog/digital/mixed signal interface design, reverse engineer legacy designs, component selection, evaluation of technology insertion/upgrades, and laboratory test and troubleshooting.
With a product focus, the individual is also expected to actively partner with operations personnel to develop solutions that adhere to UPC, DFT, and DFM requirements. Additionally, the engineer will support resolution of technical issues that are discovered during manufacture and test of deliverable hardware. This will include evaluating and troubleshooting LRU and circuit
card level issues, assess test faults for root cause, identify disposition/corrective actions, and evaluate test equipment
performance and integrity.
The selected electrical engineer is expected to have applicable experience in the following areas:
• Digital design and troubleshooting in the area of embedded processors, microcontrollers, and VHDL based FPGAs that provide capability and functionality to a larger system
• Analog and Mixed Signal design and troubleshooting with an excellent working knowledge of common electronic circuits and components
• Demonstrated experience in Product/Factory Support of DoD military electronics equipment
• State-of-the-art electrical engineering design tools
• Design and manufacturing standards associated with complex multilayer CCAs
• Strong “hands-on” laboratory experience with instrumentation, equipment, and processes
• Working experience with Interface standards including military/avionics communication buses (i.e. ARINC-429, RS-422, Mil-Std-1553, GigE, Ethernet)
• Standard backplane buses including VME, PCI, PCIE
• Technical leadership with strong written and verbal communication skills
The ideal candidate will thrive in a learning environment that encourages leadership and technical growth.
Typical Education & Experience
Required Skills and Education
• Required Education: Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering with 5+ years of experience OR a Master's Degree and 3+ years of experience
• 5+ years of demonstrated experience in Product development and/or support of DoD military electronics equipment
• Solid fundamentals of digital/analog/mixed signal electronics, components, and interface/communication standards
• Experience in the design, test, troubleshooting, and manufacture of complex multi-layer electronic circuit card assemblies
• Working knowledge of VHDL
• Experience with state-of-the-art electrical engineering development tools
• Strong written and verbal communication skills with small team leadership experience
• Motivated self-starter and problem solver with proven experience executing in diverse multi-disciplinary teams
• Strong computer skills in basic MS office and technical programs
Eligible to obtain a DOD Security Clearance
Preferred Skills and Education
• Current “hands-on” experience with Cadence state-of-the-art electrical engineering development tools
• Life cycle engineering support related to diminishing manufacturing sources and material shortages (DMSMS)
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems
BAE Systems Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve.
Apply on company website