The BAE Systems site in Phoenix, Arizona is seeking a Continuous Improvement (CI) Specialist. In this role, the CI Specialist provides support to the Quality Manager in planning, training, methodology guidance, communication and coaching skills to promote a culture of continuous improvement. This role will engage employees at all levels to help the lines of business improve quality levels, reduce waste, improve and simplify processes, continually reduce costs, and improve the overall effectiveness of assigned business processes and operations (with a main focus on production floor activities).
The key objective is to support the CI program to drive change that will positively affect the bottom line of the business while delivering optimum performance. The CI Specialist is responsible for facilitating and driving a broad array of CI activities including:
- Supporting and assisting implementation of the plan for CI;
- Coaching employees in investigating Corrective Action (CAR) events, identifying valid root cause(s), and developing and implementing effective mitigating temporary and permanent process improvements focused on sustained process control;
- Leading CI activities and projects within the factories that will result in reductions in the true cost of quality;
- Helping to drive improvement efforts to resolve issues, internal and external, to the QMS to ensure consistent cost, quality and delivery;
- Serving as a facilitator supporting Quality and CI initiatives and an adviser in generating lower level goals and targets;
- Facilitating CI efforts among work teams;
- Supporting efforts to achieve factory quality, cost and delivery metric goals;
- Driving corrective actions to closure. Identifying errors and root cause and subsequently implementing corrective and preventive actions.
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 2 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Experience leading incident (event) investigation teams: Fact gathering, performing Event Chain-Causal Analysis determining valid root cause, and implementing effective process control focused improvements;
- Analytical problem solving ability to identify issues and apply structured and disciplined methodology to identify root cause using data and implement solutions;
- Innovative and effective solution development, risk mitigation and execution experience;
- The ability to handle multiple, complex priorities and balance the needs of each according to business impact;
- Highly effective written, verbal, presentation, and facilitation skills with the ability to communicate to all levels;
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills involving interfacing, coordinating and negotiating with cross-functional teams and leadership at all levels to facilitate improvements across the organization;
- A demonstrated ability in applying SPC, Six Sigma, and Lean Manufacturing Principles;
- The ability to work independently and be effective in a fast-paced environment.
Preferred Skills and Education
Experience and background preferred but not required include:
- Root cause methodologies;
- Lean Six Sigma Green Belt or Belt Certification;
- Demonstrated success initiating, leading and closing out CI projects;
- Implementing Error Proofing or Poka-Yoke improvements greatly beneficial;
- Leading CI DMAIC Projects;
- Metrics and Data Analysis.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Apply on company website