At BAE Systems our motto is “We Protect Those That Protect Us”. Enabling this motto are engineering teams developing and producing exciting electronic equipment for the US Military and friendly forces. BAE Systems has a stimulating opportunity for an energetic well-qualified Built-in Test (BIT) Engineer to join our team. This engineer will work on teams developing and producing electro-optical, communication, avionics and Electronic Counter Measures for ground, airborne and shipboard platforms. BAE Systems' BIT Engineers are involved with every stage of the equipment lifecycle from concept through development, Integration & Test, production and field support. The selected candidate will have significant interaction across the company including program office, all engineering disciplines and production functions and this will provide for a fast-paced, educational, and fulfilling experience. Your efforts will have a positive impact on front line warfighter's effectiveness and daily quality of life.
The candidate will have opportunities to apply their BIT engineering skills and their electrical engineering education to analyzing digital and analog electronics, power supplies, and systems of electronic modules, to ensure reliability, testability, availability, and maintainability requirements are achieved. Your self-starting enthusiasm for technology, and ability to intuit and solve problems, will propel you to become an integral part of our innovation teams, influence product development, and engage technical leadership opportunities.
This position is responsible for designing and developing BIT architecture, hardware/software, strategies and methodologies for new and existing Electronic Warfare products. The Senior BIT Engineer is required to perform the following:
1. Supports the design team and new product test engineers to establish Built-in test functions, test interface requirements and diagnostic features. Justification and procurement of test hardware, software development tools and other capital expenditures needed for test development and deployment. Assists others who may be assigned to the project Development of BIT and test automation strategies and methodologies. Provides technical support for existing BIT software used by production and field service.
2. Performs testability analysis to ensure the BIT design is adequate to meet customer requirements for fault detection and fault isolation. Supports BIT integration activities, by testing or overseeing the testing of BIT features, analyzing results and implementing corrective actions to the BIT design. Plans and conducts formal BIT Demonstration activities by determining the candidate fault list from the testability analysis, determining the fault insertion methods, performing dry-runs to test the fault insertion methods and modifying BIT software and diagnostic rules based on results of testing.
3. Performs root cause analysis and leading/implementing corrective action efforts. Initiates, justifies and implements BIT-related enhancements needed for improved demonstrated reliability and detectability, increased production capacity, improved test yields, reduced cycle time, and optimized depot diagnostics.
4. Works with Systems Engineering to ensure full comprehension and inclusion of BIT/Testability requirements contributing to higher level performance measures.
5. Available to expand knowledge and skillsets of other areas within the Reliability Sciences function.
Please note that pursuant to a government contract, this specific position requires US citizenship status”
Required Skills and Education
- Bachelor's Degree in STEM discipline
- 2+ years of proven experience in Built-in Test Engineering discipline, whether in a design and development role or a BIT integration and validation capacity
- Familiarity with circuit analysis methods for use with electrical schematics of digital, analog, microwave and/or RF electronic circuit layouts, and with FPGA and ASIC applications
- Experience in Testability Analysis
- Experience with Failure Analysis and Root Cause Analysis and with troubleshooting failures
Preferred Skills and Education
- Proven experience interfacing and influencing BIT design preferred
- Proven Reliability Modeling and Failure Modes, Effects & Criticality Analysis (FMECA) experience
- Design Failure Modes Effects Analysis (DFMEA) experience
- Electronic Warfare Systems background preferred
- Reliability & Maintainability Analysis and Reliability Growth software tools experience/awareness using Windchill Quality Solutions (RELEX) and ReliaSoft preferred
- Proven Failure Reporting, Analysis & Corrective Action System (FRACAS) experience
- Familiarity with Design for Reliability concepts and techniques a plus
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems
BAE Systems Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve.
Apply on company website