Please make sure to attach both a resume and cover letter to complete your application.
The ASPCA Animal Hospital (AAH) is designed to provide life-saving care and relieve suffering for animal victims of cruelty and neglect who come to us through our internal partners: ASPCA Adoption Center, Kitten Nursery, Community Medicine and Community Engagement (CE) teams; and our external partners: NYPD and other NYC organizations. Additionally, we provide subsidized care exclusively for animals whose owners are experiencing financial challenges and could not otherwise afford medical care for their pet.
The Hospital Veterinary Assistant is responsible for the daily care of surgical patients and assisting the Licensed Veterinary Technicians and Veterinarians in a high-quality, high-volume emergency hospital.
This is a full-time position. Weekends may be required. Position may require occasional flexibility and occasional overtime.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
Nursing Care and Client Services (30%)
- Knowledge of basic veterinary medical concepts, including, but not limited to surgical procedures, surgical instruments, anesthesia, and animal handling.
Admit surgical patients as needed
- Provide compassionate and quality patient care at all times.
- Be proficient in animal handling and restraint for injections, venipuncture, intubation, etc.
- Treat animals and clients with care and respect utilizing Fear Free guidelines.
Document and communicate and patient concerns or observed changes to LVT and/or Veterinarian
Feed and medicate patients following veterinarian and LVT instructions
Lift patients up to 40 pounds.
Housekeeping and Maintenance of surgical suites and instrumentation (50%)
- Clean and disinfect surgery prep, operating rooms, and pack and prep while utilizing appropriate PPE when appropriate
Follow all departmental PPE and cleaning protocols
- Follow all protocols put forth by Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
- Follow all written and verbally communicated departmental Standard Operating Procedures.
- Take inventory and stock supplies as needed.
- Assist in keeping supplies stocked by noting when supplies are running low in surgery and pack and prep areas
Make certain entire hospital including treatment, surgery, exam rooms and kennels are kept extremely clean through the day
Clean, wrap, and sterilize surgical packs by use of dishwasher and autoclave
Prep operating rooms for surgery, obtain instruments as needed for surgical procedures
Assist anesthetist with anesthesia - including induction, prepping for epidurals/local blocks, and shaving patients for surgery
Scrub patients for surgery utilizing strict aseptic technique
Run bloodwork for surgical patients as needed by LVT or veterinarian
Professionalism, Communication, and Performance (20%)
- Represent ASPCA in professional and courteous manner at all times.
Provide management with regular feedback about training needs, new hires, coworkers, interns, hospital needs, etc.
Collaborate professionally with other ASPCA department managers and staff.
Support organization and departmental policies and protocols
- Maintain open mind regarding changes and be willing to learn, implement, and teach new protocols.
Possess thorough knowledge of AAH daily procedures and protocols
Ensure and maintain high quality standard of care, work ethic, and performance
- Work independently without supervision and as part of a team
- Work efficiently and calmly under challenging conditions
- Attend staff meetings and training sessions
- Advise Supervisor of any conditions that are unsafe including unrecognized hazards or infractions of safety rules.
Attend surgery department meetings (which provide continuing education)
This list may be revised at any time and additional duties not listed here may be assigned as needed.
Exemplifies the ASPCA's Core Values:
- Has Commitment and dedication to improving the lives of animals
- Demonstrates Ownership and feels responsible for outcomes
- Believes in Team – that we are stronger together
- Seeks to Elevate others and reimagine what is possible
- Focuses on Impact, specifically making change for animals
Qualifications:Able to lift up to 40 pounds, Able to work standing for 10 or more hours, Basic to advanced computer skills, including Excel, Microsoft Office and ImproMed, Knowledge of veterinary hospital protocols and procedures, Must have a high degree of integrity and accountability, Must possess excellent animal handling and restraint skills, Must possess excellent customer service skills., Outstanding inter-personal communication and the ability to work in a team environment or independently, Position may require occasional flexibility and occasional overtime during off-hours, weekends, evening hours and possible holiday support, Possess a sense of humor that can balance flexibility and enthusiasm and thrives on detail., Proficiency in Impromed, preferred
Language:English (Required), Spanish
Education and Work Experience:Bachelors, High School Diploma (Required)
1 - 2 year's experience in the Animal Care Technician role or equivalent, 1 - 3 years' veterinary hospital and/or shelter experience preferred., Animal Handling Experience, Experience in surgery preferred but not required
Our EEO Policy:
The ASPCA is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, gender, gender identity or expression, age, marital or domestic partner status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.
Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to a reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the ASPCA's standard application process, which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on the ASPCA. Please inform the ASPCA's People Team if you need an accommodation in order to complete any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.
Individuals seeking employment are considered without regards to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, gender, gender identity or expression, age, marital or domestic partner status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.
ASPCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer (M/F/D/V).
Please don't forget to attach your resume and cover letter to complete your application.
Apply on company website