Support operations within the plant by producing or modifying extrusion tooling and various manufacturing equipment components.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Set up and operates Wire EDMs, CNC mills, lathes, Bridgeports, drill presses, cylindrical grinders, surface grinders, and EDM drills to produce specified dimensions and finishes on a wide variety of materials.
- Use of all measuring instruments, such as calipers, depth mics, indicators, and holds tolerances within drawing specifications.
- Manufacture new and replacement tooling or fixturing, working from drawings, machine sketches, layouts, blueprints, etc, or verbal instructions.
- Perform all duties necessary to maintain tooling, production equipment, Toolroom equipment, and or spare parts.
- Analyze tooling being returned to Toolroom to make sure they are in good working condition before being placed back on shelf. Repair tooling or hardware as needed to maintain adequate stock.
- Maintain proper housekeeping and safety standards, making proper use of PPE and use of LOTO, as required.
- Maintain adequate attendance levels, be prompt, and a “can do” attitude.
- Actively participate in Toolroom department team meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
- Diverse working knowledge of milling, drilling, turning, tapping, grinding, sheet metal work, filing, fitting, aligning, brazing, soldering, layout work and related processes.
- Applied knowledge of industry standards in the use of machine and hand tools to fabricate, modify or repair tooling or machinery as required.
- Must be competent in applying theories of geometry and trigonometry as necessary.
- Use of CAD/CAM software, such as AutoCad or Esprit as needed.
- Must understand feeds and speeds, as well as the tables in Machinist Handbook, and can machine all materials in common use, both metal and non-metal.
- Must be able to understand and perform to quality standards, methods, usage of inspection devices and reporting as required.
- Must be able to use a computer and Microsoft Office.
- Welding skills a plus, but not necessary.
Qualifications / Prior Experience
- GED or High School education preferred.
- Minimal (5) yrs. Machining, Toolmaker, repair experience or equivalent education/experience required.
- CAD/CAM software experience required (AutoCad, Esprit, Mastercam, etc.)
Work Environment / Other Requirements
- The performance of this position normally requires exposure to a typical manufacturing areas were under certain conditions that require the use of personal protective equipment. Primary environment: Temperature of work area may be affected by outside temperatures and machining. Industrial lighting provided.
- With minimal supervision, demonstrate the ability to solve practical problems, interpret, resolving problems and issues using a variety of instructions or guides furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Demonstrated ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, metric and standard, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to interpret bar graphs (for example: SPC)
- Standing, sitting, stooping and squatting can be expected along with lifting or with other means transfer of tooling, parts, containers and raw materials. Specific vision abilities required may include close vision, distance vision, peripheral and depth perception and ability to focus.
- Ability to lift up to 25-50 lbs. on a frequent basis
Apply to this job