Support Toolroom and Production personnel within the plant by improving extrusion tooling through replacement and/or modification to achieve company quality standards.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Setup and operate extrusion equipment for test runs, production runs and raw material evaluations.
- Makes detailed line adjustments and modifications to new and existing extrusion tooling, fixtures, and guides, as necessary.
- Analyzes tooling and profiles to investigate extrusion issues and balance dies as required.
- Must be able to see fine details and perform detailed handwork to extrusion tooling.
- Uses blue prints, specifications and related CAD data to determine design flaws.
- Participates in product-related meetings and production design reviews by providing feedback regarding tool and product design.
- Provides ongoing technical support and training to support production operations.
- Partners with supervisors and operators to set up operator specifications and procedures and assists with the introduction of new products.
- Works with Machinists, Engineers and Designers to develop new fixtures and methods.
- Troubleshoots extruders, auxiliary equipment and other parts of the extrusion process by gathering and recording specifications per the SOPs, and offers feedback to continuously improve the process.
- Maintain proper housekeeping and safety standards, making proper use of PPE, as required.
- Maintain adequate attendance levels, be prompt, and a “can do” attitude.
- Actively participate in Toolroom department team meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
- Must demonstrate a high degree of hand-eye coordination and a steady hand to perform ultra-fine work on tools under stereomicroscope, using files, carbide burrs, cratex, etc.
- Thorough understanding of the equipment and materials used in the extrusion process.
- Must have proven ability to troubleshoot and solve difficult and challenging production problems with minimal guidance and direction.
- Must understand and apply mathematical concepts, including fractions, ratios and proportions, as well as the fundamentals of geometry, trigonometry and tolerances.
- Ability to read and comprehend operating instructions, blueprints, design specifications and engineering drawings.
- Must be proficient in utilizing precision measuring equipment, including calipers.
- Must have strong time management, organizational, and record keeping skills.
- Must be able to use a computer and Microsoft Office.
Work Environment / Other Requirements
- The performance of this position normally requires exposure to a typical manufacturing areas were under certain conditions that require the use of personal protective equipment.
- Primary environment: Temperature of work area may be moderate and affected by outside temperatures and machining. Industrial lighting provided.
- With minimal supervision, demonstrate the ability to solve practical problems, interpret, resolving problems and issues using a variety of instructions or guides furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Demonstrated ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, metric and standard, use of a calculator as required
- Standing, sitting, stooping and squatting can be expected along with lifting or with other means transfer of tooling, parts, containers and raw materials.
- Specific vision abilities required for detail work may include close vision, distance vision, peripheral and depth perception and ability to focus.
- Ability to lift up to 25-50 lbs. on an occasional basis.
- Be able to work your scheduled shift and be “on-call” when needed for weekends.
Qualifications / Prior Experience
- GED or High School education preferred.
- Minimum of (5) years of extrusion operator and/or injection molding experience.
- Requires a strong mechanical and analytical background.
- CAD experience is preferred, but not required.
The above statement reflects the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job identified, and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the job.
Apply to this job